Monday, August 29, 2011

Shipping Containers

On Friday I read an article about converting shippint containers into liveable homes. Yes, I am thinking again... lol. I have spent a lot of my weekend reading up on this. Turns out they can make really cute homes, and are very cheap. they can be converted in a matter of weeks and require more labor than money. I just need to find some vacant land for cheap and then let my imagination take off. Containers run less than $1000 each. Since this is a "green" idea, wonder if there are grants for this. I would love to figure out how to do a spec home and let this be a launching pad for a green construction and get hubby back on fire construction wise. He is really good at it, but his heart is elsewhere. I think the constant losing of money and the haggling at the end is really getting to him. If he could come up with a great idea (well, I already have) the difficulty is in making it work. Fortunately, with imagination and space saving ideas (and hubby knows how to build custom and wall-to-wall units) these can be very practical and affordable. I read where one guy created his home for less than $50,000. Being married to a contractor, it could possibly be done cheaper. Now, how to find financing... I hope there is a grant type idea out there because walking into a bank and asking for a loan for a shipping container home may cause the banker to break out in hysterical laughing. If I could figure out how to get a spec home done, hubby and his on again/off again partner could have ideas to pitch in areas that need to be rebuilt. I could see lots of work in the future if this is doable.

1 comment:

Lyla said...

Honestly, I've been looking for a blog to comment on as I have just begun one of my own and am in search of some followers. What would be the point of a blog otherwise? I need to get my thoughts out there (out there and fast).

I came across your "Shipping Containers" story and began reading it... I expected to find something rather uninteresting, but I must say you did spark my interest. Though your idea sounds marketable, it will only be marketable to a few (target group: the poor or the environmentally friendly). In other words, your demand pool will be very limited. Follow through with your idea. Don't let it go to waste. Just remember who you must advertise to. How will you go about the implication of this "Shipping Containers" project. Make it happen. Be more specific. I hope to see a follow up. Thanks.

-Lyla