Saturday, May 10, 2008

Luh Up

Why is it that children learn the words first that you don't want them to learn at all? It is said that children are sponges, and I can see that. They copy everything you do and say. Just yesterday my two year old responded to me and had me speechless. It's amazing to hear yourself in a two year old. She had taken out all the movies that I had so painstakingly organized alphabetically and piled them up on the floor. I told her to pick them back up and put them away. The response I got was "Okay woman, sheesh." She takes words that she hears at various times and puts them together in random order that has you hysterical. She loves to tell everyone around her to "Be Quiet" or "Luh Up". Now we don't use that phrase in our house. I could not figure out where it came from and so we blamed Gordon Ramsey. If she starts calling people "Donuts" we'll all be in trouble. He has other interesting adjectives and adverbs but that's a whole other blog. But she was watching Racing Strips and then started singing "Luh Up" over and over again. Then it triggered in my head. A horse just said that. Then today I heard it again. Now why would they say that in a children's movie. It is difficult to tell her not to say that when she hears it (talk about hearing it from the horse's mouth). Anyway, out of the mouth of babes.... but I don't think that's what was meant by that expression.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luh up... what does it mean? Sorry, I'm not up to date with the latest lingo around. :)

Sherry said...

That's the 2-year old's way of saying "Shut Up." We don't say it at the house in seriousness, but I have found myself saying it in the 80's lingo. More like a catch phrase. But hearing it from a two year old, behind "qiet" (yes she can't quite get the pronunciation out) is an interesting feeling. I have learned that I really have to watch what I say. If I tick her off (or her brother) I get "qiet, luh up."

Anonymous said...

I hate to ask again but... what is "qiet"?... Got it with the luh up. :) Funny. I'm not there yet with Kelli - will let you know as soon as she starts talking in sentences.

Sherry said...

Maybe I miss pronounced it: Ki-et. aka quiet. Be grateful your daughter is not talking yet. As soon as she does you will be running around behind her saying 'don't say that' and rueing the day she ever started speaking. Especially in public.