Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Niece

So, I'm on Facebook, and my niece puts up "Ready to die...Resurrect and then Live!" How am I supposed to react??? Like any good aunt, I respond back via Facebook... then call. She doesn't answer and so I panic. Fortunately, she calls back in a reasonable amount of time. We have a productive conversation and leave it at that. Now I get to break the news to her uncle. You see, I am not her biological aunt, but a "political aunt" (it's a Mexican thing). Because of decisions she made when she was younger, i.e. turning her back on the grandparents who raised her over her biological mother (their daughter), it is held against her. Now, I can understand that there is some issue; however, you cannot hold decisions of teenagers against them for their entire lives. I have seen that she has been in pain for many years. It's manifested itself in the tattoos she gets. There is so much pain in her eyes it breaks my heart. She tattoos while others cut themselves. I don't know why people don't see it. They see it as rebellion, and I see it as a way of relieving her pain. It is so clear and I don't know how to bridge the two opposing sides.

No comments: