Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Irony

It is ironic that a couple of my favorite shows happen to be on the same night and yet are totally opposite in content, attitude and spirit. We begin with the Biggest Loser. There, trainers are there to nurture and guide people on the path of health and fitness. There are sweat, tears and pain. The host asks probing questions about how they feel as they drop the weight, how they like the "new" person being discovered under those layers of fat. Emotions run high as people go on their emotional and physical transformations. Then there's the show after ---- Hell's Kitchen. Gordon Ramsey is my secret addiction. He is loud, rude and rather obnoxious, and needs his mouth washed out about every 2-3 minutes. This show has lots of crying, yelling, and swearing, although being bleeped out. I do feel sorry for the censor on that show. These aspiring chefs are sure put through their paces. They are sweating throughout the show too. If knew a person like Gordon in real life we probably couldn't stand to be around him for more than 5 minutes. Yet, here I sit, glued to the tv every Tuesday evening. And even worse, we have tracked down another show of his on the BBC. I haven't found out why I like the show so much, but it might because I like to watch other people suffer. Most of the contestants are so full of themselves they need to be brought down a little. So we go from low-cal, low-carb, low-fat to chefs learning how to cook high caloried meals with decadent desserts. Nurturing and caring to screaming and swearing. Kind of like taking an elevator, with its soft soothing music, and opening the doors to a heavy metal concert. And what is sad, I am responsible for other people getting hooked on Hells' Kitchen. To you I apologize and say get out while you can-save yourselves. And yet, I am excited beyond measure that my favorite reality show is back. Although I do like the Amazing Race and Survivor (yes, I know, wandering)..... and with all this talk of food I will take my wandering self to the kitchen to eat breakfast....hmmm, a danish or a banana.......wonderfully tasty or practical..... sorry, the Biggest Loser is a vague memory from last night by now, so I'm going to the dark side. Bon Apetit.

No comments: