Sunday, January 15, 2012

EMT

I haven't blogged much lately. A lot of it has to do witht he fact that I don't want to use my blog as a reason to vent and be negative. Much of what has gone on in my life causes me to want to release so I deliberately avoid the blogging. I am basically the parent of three children. I have two biological children and then there is my husband. He has basically become my adult child. If he needs a phone call to be made, "can you call for me?' If he needs to call in sick, "can you call for me." Any excuse is dumped on me. I know it's from his depression, but it has caused him to check out of life. So, I am at a crossroads.... do I step up and become my own adult or do I stay the wife. What do I mean? I have pursued many opportunities in the past... I had a day care license, I have a real estate license, I have done accounting, etc. All these past opportunities are no longer in the immediate mix. I can't do day care at my parent's house, accounting in the Bay Area requires a minimum of a BA degree and real estate... well not now! I am thinking of becoming an EMT. Why?? Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either unless you put it on paper.... Unitek is the only one of two colleges that offers a two week course in becoming an EMT. While the medical field may not have been my first choice it is one of the few recession proof opportunities that are out there. Unitek is about 5 miles away and offers an EMT boot camp that will cram an entire semester's worth of classes into 2 weeks. Two weeks at 12 hours a day, but at the end they offer the required federal test and are able to become eligible for employment. Different from what my husband wants. "Where are you at?" "Change majors so you can get more classes in." For my accounting degree I need about 5 classes total. Yes, I am registered for most of them for this semester. Living in the Bay Area, this still doesn't make me qualified based on education, but at least it's a start. I will still need at least 3-4 more classes. If I take the EMT classes at Unitek, yes I will have to pay for them, but at least I am in a field that is pretty much recession proof, but within two weeks I will be done. Yes, this school costs, but I know at least two persons who have taken this course and have gotten work right upon completion. I am tired of having to ask my "head" whether I can do this or not. I know what I want to do an am ready to take the next step.

No comments: